Death Match teaser

onefourth

Achievement Hunter
Staff Member
TF2C Admin
<font face="Arial, Verdana" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">so, over the past few days I've been working on a teaser trailer for our Death Match mode.</font>this was the first pass<font face="Arial, Verdana">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_JiNC90atA</font>
so far, the only thing that I am 'sold' on is the gag with the hat being sniped off. the action is sparse and seemingly random. here is the second passhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmu_koGMRXI
here, I worked on the main merc's pose a little more, along with the camera animation. the umbrella, table, and radio are all still placeholders at this point. here there were a few problems identified with the video<ul style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">[*]not enough action[*]doesn't show paintability[*]soldiers are clearly visible in the bodypile[*]ugly umbrella/radio/table[*]boring background and lighting[*]music licensing</ul>I'm about a quarter way through pass 3 at the moment, and have addressed the issues of action, paintability, background, soldiers being visible, and have started on the licensing and props. the solution to the lack of action was, well, action. i blocked out some rough action here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OIcoPO816I
i'm not an animator by trade, so I passed it off to one of our character animators, hotpocket. with him working on the animation I switched my focus to the props, namely the radio. the video is going to start with a close up of the merc tuning into a station and then assuming his relaxed pose. I whipped up a concept for a 1960s radio:​
IRBARTU.png

the radio was then sent over to one of our modellers, sedimentarysocks. I am currently waiting to hear back from Gusto Music Licensing.​

crits and comments welcome​

I really like the idea, but here's some of my thoughts
- Having more than one character on the screen would ruin the focus on the guy relaxing, so if it were up to me I wouldn't show anyone else- Gradually increasing the intensity of the chaos in the background (explosions, fire, etc) would be great, though please try to avoid making a "queue" effect (waiting for an event to finish for another one to start). Overlapping chaos is best chaos.
Other than that I can't say much besides that this looks like it can end up pretty awesome!

update on the music licensing! it seems the license to this specific song is <i>shared between three companies</i>. I've gotten one out of the three, so two more.

Those videos looks very good so far ! i'll be watching this!

Nice model! Are any other custom props going to be seen in the trailer, and will they be used in the game's files?

yes on other models, no on being in the props unless a mapper needs them.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48179 Members
(5834 Online 347 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom