How to remotely access a sleeping computer over Wi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Tech Chat' started by lonesome killer, Sep 24, 2013.

1. lonesome killer

lonesome killer Banhammered

Been looking into doing this with my Android phone. It seems easy with a LAN connection, but I have a WLAN connection. Anyone have more info on how to do this? I did some quick searching and it seems your BIOS or Wireless adapter have to support this feature maybe?

Also found this on Microsoft's website but don't know how to properly edit a registry key.
    To enable WoWLAN support for GTK and EAP scenarios

To enable WoWLAN support for GTK and EAP scenarios, create or modify the following registry key:
    • Key Name: EnableWoWLAN

• Type: DWORD

• Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NativeWifiP\Parameters

• Value: 1
    In addition to modifying this registry key, you must also configure the network device in the Device Manager.
    1. Open Device Manager.

2. Right-click the network card you want to configure and select Device Properties.

3. In the Power Management tab, select the Allow this device to wake up the computer check box.

2. VintagePC

VintagePC GodModePC (Lead Developer) Srcds Server Operator Forum Operator Minecraft Operator Global Moderator Staff Member

I don't think this is even possible unless your WLAN card explicitly supports it. Most cards will disconnect from the wifi network/router when the computer goes into standby mode, so your router would have no way to send the "wake up" message to the computer in question.

3. lonesome killer

Unacceptable

4. Reechard

Reechard Server Admin Srcds Server Operator Minecraft Operator Source Server Admin Staff Member Minecraft Admin

Set your computer to never go to sleep. You can have a screensaver and even have the monitors shut off, but if it's not in standby it doesn't need to wake up.

5. lonesome killer

I knew that, but I can't have it constantly on.

6. Reechard

Reechard Server Admin Srcds Server Operator Minecraft Operator Source Server Admin Staff Member Minecraft Admin

7. VintagePC

VintagePC GodModePC (Lead Developer) Srcds Server Operator Forum Operator Minecraft Operator Global Moderator Staff Member

:D

8. lonesome killer

Can't. My machine produces a lot of heat.

9. English

English Global Mod Global Moderator Forum Moderator Source Server Admin Staff Member VF4 Supporter

Get a better cooling system?

10. lonesome killer

It's fine if I have the door open, but then the dogs come in my room. If I leave it shut it can get hot.

11. lonesome killer

I want to try the registry edit but don't know how to properly edit it. Anyone know?