Map creation for TF2Classic

I have 3 major questions for map creating for Team fortress 2 Classic for my brother. And if Garden Freeman and Agameofscones could help me that would be fantastic.
1. What version of Hammer would one need to use in order for the map to run on TF2C and for it not to crash the game.
2. How to get exported properly to run.
3. If people would be willing to give feed back on the maps if he ever makes it.
Thank you.

After you set up a Hammer configuration for the Source SDK base 2013 [Upcoming] using the post Garden mentioned I advise you use this application to launch and manage the various mods or SDK configs you have. Also, I advise checking out VBCT for all of those fancy compile options and a generally faster compile over all (as the default Hammer compile sucks up system resources like it owns the world). Besides that make sure to use OneFourth's tutorial that Garden linked, it's what I used to set everything up.

Questions 1, 2 and 3. Unless you're using the GoldSRC Hammer from HL1, or a newer Hammer build from CS:GO or Portal 2, you should be fine on compiling and running. I'm sure many people are willing to help and give feedback for your brother's maps if they chance into existence. Just dump them in the main thread for evaluation.

@Agameofscones, I've never had much luck getting VBCT to compile maps for TF2C. Everything compiles fine of course in Hammer, but VBCT would always fail for some reason. Can you share whatever configuration you have for it? Maybe I am missing some of the finer points in getting it to work?

bd5a660b07.png

After setting up Hammer for TF2C and downloading VBCT, right click on the little ... button. This should give you a list of everything you have installed/setup for compiles by default. Mousing over Source SDK base 2013 Multiplayer games should list what mods you have installed on it. In my case it's Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Sourcetest, customconfig, and of course TF2C. Selecting TF2C will set everything up for VBCT to read and compile with the binaries supplied by said mod. If you want to compile to go through, uncheck everything in this box:

05209cede0.png

As I really doubt you're going to be using VMPI. VMPI is for compiling with multiple computers over the internet. The rest of the options are pretty self explanatory. If you want prop shadows and stuff like that click on the advanced options button, then click Advanced Compile Options Panel.

All compile options and selected mods and whatnot reset completely when restarting VBCT. So you'll have to reselect TF2C ever time, along with your fancy compile options.

Have fun.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48183 Members
(9482 Online 902 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom