[Story Progression] The Great Library of Tephu

"This came from the Necropolis of Wati, an intended engagement ring that was never given before the Plague of Madness took its lovers and its city. It held...a modicum of power, once, though not the sort any bearer would find useful." Idessa hands it over.

She exams it intensely them, with an almost childlike grin she says "The payment is sufficient follow me and stay close". She begins walking down the descending corridor to the east. Which immediately begins to switch back onto itself zigzagging continually downward. Halfway down the switchback corridor a stone statue depicting either clouds or billowing mist shaped into a humanoid form sits in the center of the hall. You're unsure exactly how far down you traveled (knowledge dungeoneering or survival check if you're curious), but eventually the descent ends and you walk through another curved corridor that eventually opens up into a wide, circular chamber.

Instead of a floor, a vast well lined with row upon row of books, scrolls, and parchment plummets downward. Below, flickering flames gently illuminate the chamber in soft light. A flight of narrow stone stairs descends in a spiral along the inner walls of the shaft, which is crisscrossed by a lattice of slender, impossibly thin bridges.

"See safe and sound" With that she jumps onto the nearest bridge saunters across, and begins putting some books back on shelves and grabbing different books.

You have two choices when researching in the Spiral Archive. You can either saunter across the bridges merrily and make an acrobatics check daily to not fall to your death and doom. Or you can take a -2 to your knowledge check to play it safe walking carefully across the bridges. Remember you have either Knowledge history or nobility to choose from currently, as you are following up on a lead of a book that was moved down here. Decide who is making the main check, and who his helper monkeys are (up to 2) and all of you must make the same knowledge check. Though each person chooses individually if they want to take a -2 on the knowledge check or make an acrobatics check while researching.

my nobility is +4, history is 0, if it has any impact on helping the group decide.

Can light steps negate the need for acrobatics?

At 6th level, a ninja learns to move while barely touching the surface underneath her. As a full-round action, she can move up to twice her speed, ignoring difficult terrain. While moving in this way, any surface will support her, no matter how much she weighs. This allows her to move across water, lava, or even the thinnest tree branches. She must end her move on a surface that can support her normally. She cannot move across air in this way, nor can she walk up walls or other vertical surfaces. When moving in this way, she does not take damage from surfaces or hazards that react to being touched, such as lava or caltrops, nor does she need to make Acrobatics checks to avoid falling on slippery or rough surfaces. Finally, when using light steps, the ninja ignores any mechanical traps that use a location-based trigger.

Doesn't matter since I'm +14, but just curious.

That just dances all around what those bridges are. The bridges don't look like they'd support your weight but they do without much bending. They aren't slippery or rough, just narrow, and they aren't difficult terrain. The bridges actually look like ladders made from bamboo that's less than an inch in diameter. I would say no, but if you had something more related to balance I'd accept it.

Idessa has +4 to Knowledge (Nobility).

Does natural climb and snakey stability bonus count?

Memsie has a plus 4 in each. I'll take a hit to the nobility side. No way those little gnome legs are gonna have any aerial finesse.

Climb would have helped in that last library, this one is about balance, what is your snake stability thing?

Since Idessa has tail instead of legs (which mechanically gave me a +4 stability bonus to CMD), she could conceivably wrap around the bridge and slither across it (kind of like this) instead of trying to balance on top without falling.

The same as dwarven stability then, the book specifically says no to that.

*Edit: taking a -2 to research is going slowly and making sure you don't fall, pretty much exactly like that video

Last edited:
Aech has a +22 for nobility and a +27 to history. Could we have 1 main researcher and the helpers do the acrobatics checks so there's no -2 to the result? My rolls should be high enough, but I'm just curious.

no, each person has to choose between the -2 or the acrobatics checks on there own. The only way around it, is if you can fly for extended periods, hours at least. +27 is such a high check, there wouldn't be a need to risk the acrobatics I wouldn't think.

If no one has any issues, I can begin the research then
!roll 1d20+25+1d6 #history and -2 penalty
If anyone has outstanding business I'll ask if someone would be so kind as to bring me some street meat and sell my belt, because I'll probably be a cavern dweller for awhile.

[trigger]history and -2 penalty: 29[/trigger]
[trigger=by]For: Ach Hans Run! Re: #478[/trigger]

upload_2016-8-5_17-23-49.png
Rolled both because it sounds like we're doing history now?

As she promised before the end of her day she casts her spells to grant her a total of +10

!roll 1d20+10 #History Buff

[trigger]History Buff: 29[/trigger]
[trigger=by]For: SoL DarkLord Re: #480[/trigger]

Argor: You did not pass the Acrobatics with a nat 1, please make a reflex do not fall a long way. But on the bright side you did pass the research roll to aide Aech.

Isal: You failed the research roll to aide because of not reading the directions. You did not said whether you were taking the -2 or making an acrobatics check.

Aech: The research roll is passed; In order to improve the speed of research, I'm going to consider you a Bard and give you 1d12+Int mod for research damage. You can out knowledge check a bard anyway. Please roll for damage against the library.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48189 Members
(6486 Online 450 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom