Valve Steam Controller Re-design 3/15/14

Arron Dominion

Achievement Hunter
Valve just released an image of their re-design for the Steam Controller. Here it is:
696093.png

This looks more user friendly than their initial design, but might be problematic, seeing the similarities to the Wii U Pro controller:
7115A2m702L._SL1500_.jpg

For the full source on this change, check it out:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132942-Valve-Just-Gave-its-Steam-Controller-a-Facelift

Still not seeing trackpads as a viable alternative to analog sticks. For competitive gaming it doesn't come close to mouse and keyboard still.

Valve should stick to their core business, and that's coding software. They should leave peripheral design to the pros. Hire a 3rd party company to come up with something. Or since they have so many community upload options for their games have a design competition for the Steam community

As for me, I'm sticking with my PC Elite Master Race keyboard and mouse.

Last edited:
I'm surprised they decided to do away with the mini-display that was originally planned. Curious to hear the reasoning behind that.

Also... I'll just leave this here:

cad-20130930-3a879.gif

I think the reason for removing the display was to increase legacy games compatibility that already had controller support. The layout change I think was due to the feedback that the original design was too far away from the original.

That doesn't make sense, why would removing the display improve backwards compatibility? Surely they could just disable it for games that wouldn't use it

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48178 Members
(8854 Online 658 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom