Weird smell coming from the computer

lonesome killer

Banhammered
The power in the house went out for about 5 seconds. After it came back on I turned the computer on and it smelled like burning electronics. I turned it back off and wait a minute. The smell was gone. Now I have it back on and there's no smell.

I did a check and there aren't any burned wires or components. The computer is running perfectly fine. Is there any important areas I should double check?

If you smell magic smoke it means _something_ got toasted. It's more than likely inside the power supply... and that's not something I'd ever let run unattended again until I know for sure what got toasted and whether it's safe. Electrical fires aren't funny.

You might be able to see something if you remove it and look though the fan openings with a good source of light. If something looks toasted... best replace it.

It might have been (probably was) a filter capacitor, and it did its job, but doing its job means it can't do its job again... so yeah, need to replace it, and should look at a little desktop-sized UPS/power conditioner to put on your desk if you get nasty spikes like that when your power goes out.

http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...0&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=32-327527757-2

$60 to save your probably $1k+ worth of computer stuff.... just isn't even a question.

It might have been (probably was) a filter capacitor, and it did its job, but doing its job means it can't do its job again... so yeah, need to replace it, and should look at a little desktop-sized UPS/power conditioner to put on your desk if you get nasty spikes like that when your power goes out.

http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...0&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=32-327527757-2

$60 to save your probably $1k+ worth of computer stuff.... just isn't even a question.

Do you mean a MOV? Generally when filter caps go they either leave a lot of ammonia-like stink or go with a bang...

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48183 Members
(8463 Online 655 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom