[Resolved] About The !donate Server Advert

EdFromHumanResources

It doesn't work if you have 'Disable HTML MOTDs' checked in advanced multiplayer options. Back in like 2009/2010 my TF2 had a bug that caused the game to sometimes CTD after loading a new map. Ticking the disable html motds setting was a workaround someone posted on the Steam forums which fixed the issue for me. I haven't changed the setting since. Surely there are others that have done the same thing or have it disabled for other reasons. So maybe you guys could find a way to have a non-html version of the !donate window appear for people who disable HTML motds? Just an idea.

Ed

It's a fair suggestion, but the plugin that handles those chat triggers (webshortcuts) doesn't support non-HTML content. It only allows you to specify the URL to link to, and I'm not aware of any plugins that let you specify both text and HTML content for a chat trigger. There are no provisions for opening the info panel in the steam overlay browser either (simply not possible from the game, much like steam://connect URLS don't work in the MOTD either), which would resolve this issue.

I think having a non-html version does somewhat defeat the purpose of the page, which shows you the steps and allows you to actually buy a subscription using the MOTD web browser - if you have no HTML motds, you'd still have to exit or go to the steam overlay and navigate to the forums anyway. I'll probably update the advert to indicate this instead, which is probably the more efficient solution to this issue. Something like "Say !donate for more info, or visit vaultf4.com if you do not have HTML MOTDs enabled".

Yeah, like not wanting to login to your favorite game that you PAID for and seeing advertisements.

Your logic is invalid.

You paid for the game. Not the TF2 servers you play on; server ops need/want to at least recover some of their operating costs, be it through advertisements or subscriptions. If you don't have the user-base for subscriptions, then ads are your only choice. Pinion has been brought up a few times but I abhor it (and its methodology) and will continue to do so unless we have no other choice to keep VF4 alive.

If you only play on valve servers (indirectly funded by your paying for the game) you won't see advertisements.

I'm not denying your right to block those ads, just saying your justification for blocking them is erroneous.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48189 Members
(6486 Online 450 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom