Aw Snap! Fantasy Grounds now has *officially licensed* D&D!

Wait, does this cover the 5th edition rules set?
I may have to look into this....

*edit* Cheese has learned to read! Achievement Unlocked! Yeah it says it right there....I'm a derp...

*edit #2* So what do we have access to currently? I'm running a 5th edition campaign in Roll 20 and would consider switching over and purchasing Fantasy Grounds along with the expansions for my self some time in the future. Big question though,

How many people who don't own the game can you host with the basic version?

Last edited:
We have Fantasy Grounds Ultimate. All we would need to do is acquire the ruleset. This is currently owned by VF4

Bingo. Ultimate is the uber version, anyone else can play whatever you've bought even if they just install the free demo. If the VF4 account buys the D&D ruleset... ta-da!

Bingo. Ultimate is the uber version, anyone else can play whatever you've bought even if they just install the free demo. If the VF4 account buys the D&D ruleset... ta-da!

Lemme talk to my play group, I may be willing to chip in for the rule set/ class set/ monster set if we decide we would like to give it a try.

Lemme talk to my play group, I may be willing to chip in for the rule set/ class set/ monster set if we decide we would like to give it a try.

The Fantasy Grounds setup is way nicer on both the DM and Player sides, as it manages character sheets, and has an actual campaign configuration, more than just being a chat interface + map/token placement interface. The last few times I've played, we've used prebuilt campaigns. The campaigns are only $10-20, and have all the maps, dialogue, quests, loot, mobs, and everything you'd need already added in and ready to use. I seemed to make the DM's job pretty well, and it was enough for a couple-three levels of playtime.

While I wouldn't be opposed to running a pre-made by any means, I really do enjoy home-brewing and creating my own worlds. If possible I'd like to have the tools to do that.

The only problem with the new 5E stuff that is available on FG is that to just get the core classes ruleset it is $49.99. Oh you want the monsters too? Another $49.99 Oh you mean you actually wanted the basic ruleset? Another $2.99.

Huge fucking money grab by WOTC and FG in my opinion.

The only problem with the new 5E stuff that is available on FG is that to just get the core classes ruleset it is $49.99. Oh you want the monsters too? Another $49.99 Oh you mean you actually wanted the basic ruleset? Another $2.99.

Huge fucking money grab by WOTC and FG in my opinion.

Wow I hadn't checked that part yet... BUT.

Those are $50/ea books by default, and we'd only have to buy them once, unlike the poor saps that didn't get the GM edition when it was available :D

Or we can continue with the PDFs of 5E that we already have instead of spending $102 just to play a game we can already play. The fact that they charge the same amount for the full book when you don't even get a copy of the PDF afterwards is absurd.

Thats kinda why I like Pathfinder, they have most of their books published online for free. The books they don't have are race/class specific books that way in depth into one thing.

I guess they're not charging for the rulebooks, just the convenience of using them in FG. The service, not the goods.

Thats kinda why I like Pathfinder, they have most of their books published online for free. The books they don't have are race/class specific books that way in depth into one thing.

Yeah I find this super helpful. I bought the first bestiary and core rulebook, intend to buy more when I can. I love the books. I also love being able to look up content for the ones I don't have so I don't have to say "No you can't be a magus because I don't have the book for them. Usually have my laptop with d20pfsrd.com up when I run a game.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48186 Members
(6973 Online 368 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom