Board Game Collections?

Reechard

Server Admin
VF4-S (Server Operator)
Minecraft Operator
Staff Member
Minecraft Admin
I know there are several of us who do board/card/tabletop gaming alongside all the VG realms we inhabit. I snapped this today and want a general board game thread with pics of people's collections, comments, and suggestions for games other people should get based on what they have!

bgcollection.jpg

We actually threw all our board games away a couple years ago as we never played them.

I just wanted to suggest everyone check out this series "Board James." http://cinemassacre.com/category/boardjames/ It's from the Angry Video Game Nerd. He plays board games when he's bored. (get it?) He reviews them in a funny way. Some of the games look very interesting. It's good for a great laugh.

I'm seeing a distinct lack of carcassonne expansions.... also never played the Amazon game, what's that like? :p Do you have to manage and ship the most parcels/products before your opponent?

Bonus points if you use comically large boxes to ship tiny items!

That's my M:tG cards. My collection is rather small compared to most Magic players, but I have a few surprises hidden in there.

And as for Carcassonne... I haven't played the base game enough to warrant the expansions yet. I have a list of base games as long as my arm that I'm supposed to get, let alone expansions for them.

I'll have to try and remember to take a picture after we finish moving. Half of the game closet is already packed up.

Anyone have any suggestions for some beginner to intermediate board games? Looking for strategy games :)

Anyone have any suggestions for some beginner to intermediate board games? Looking for strategy games :)
Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan are quite popular, I'm familiar with the former and it's easy to learn but hard to master - and once you get bored with the base game there are 10-15 expansions you can get that add new gameplay elements to it, and even more fan-made ones online you can print yourself and paste on some thin card if desired.

If you want a try of it, there's a free java version called JCloisterZone (jcloisterzone.com) that will give you an idea of gameplay before you go out and buy it.

Settlers is definitely a great pick up for a basic but potentially deep strategy game. Anyone who likes board games should definitely have a copy.

Hey Voltage, how do you like Power Grid? We have it, but when we tried to play the rules seemed to contradict themselves at a few points. I swear there are major typos or something in our copy.

Love it, actually. BGG has a great tool on their site for it as well. Their entire site is a nightmare if you don't have experience with it. Power Grid Files has a TON of things to help out. You can find this kind of stuff on that site for almost any game. Just go to the game's page and scroll down to files, click browse, and sort by hot. Boom. Done. All the extra gizmos you need for your own sake as well as for teaching new players the ropes. Print some up, put them in the box, GG.

I had to stop buying games because we do not play much. It is entirely my fault since i dislike only play with 2 people and we cannot find anyone around us to do a game night with.

Is the Last Night on Earth, Voltage, that one game you talk about in TS3 about trying to be the last surviving hero against the zombies and taking all the treasure? Or am I royally screwing things up?

Invite friends over and introduce them to the basic games. You might be able to mold them into board gamers. None of our friends played when we got into it. Now I can throw down Through the Ages or Dominant Species with them. It's all about starting small and teaching the mechanics. Start with Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, Carcassonne, and Settlers of Catan.

Once they see what the new era of board games are and have taken a shine to it, bring in a game that teaches something like worker placement, auction systems, etc. Only focus on one. I usually don't hit them with worker placement games until later since it can be a bit overwhelming to someone new to this level of board gaming.

You can generally groom your friends into board gamers. It's all about knowing how to be their entertainment sherpa. Ask them to play and, after the game, ask them if they liked the game or not and why. This lets you know what they dig and how to best mold the experience to their needs. You can broaden their horizons once they feel at home in your world. Guide them through the world without overwhelming them and you'll have them plotting where to allot their workers next turn in no time.

We have tried that. The only way to tempt people over to play has been to do dinner, which is fine I love to cook, but no one really seems to get into the games other than us.

Is the Last Night on Earth, Voltage, that one game you talk about in TS3 about trying to be the last surviving hero against the zombies and taking all the treasure? Or am I royally screwing things up?

LNoE pits a group of players against a zombie DM. City of Horror has the game play itself via a system of preset rules that govern its own AI. The real meat of that game is pitting players against each other. You want to be the one that gets at least one of his crew on the helicopter at the end of the game with a dose of vaccine and have the most points because of it. No survivor = no points. No vaccine = no points. Limited number of vaccines in the game and too many player-controlled characters for each to have one? A great experience built in a dog-eat-dog world. Check your friendships at the door because City of Horror is meant to be merciless.

We have tried that. The only way to tempt people over to play has been to do dinner, which is fine I love to cook, but no one really seems to get into the games other than us.

Then maybe hunt down a board gaming group in your area. I know we have one or two in northeast Kansas for when we visit my family and in northwest Arkansas where we live. You can meet some really good people there that already share one of your interests. We've made five or six new friends from our mutual hobby. It's no different from making friends because of the bond of a video game. It's just in person and takes a bit more flexibility on your part.

Then maybe hunt down a board gaming group in your area. I know we have one or two in northeast Kansas for when we visit my family and in northwest Arkansas where we live. You can meet some really good people there that already share one of your interests. We've made five or six new friends from our mutual hobby. It's no different from making friends because of the bond of a video game. It's just in person and takes a bit more flexibility on your part.

Only thing I know of is the local RPSIG group, and I cannot stand them. I did not know gamers really existed who never shower and for whom games are literally their lives until I met these people. This town just sucks.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48189 Members
(6549 Online 432 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom