Elder Scrolls Online Beta - Angry Joe's Impressions

Geoff

Sir "Let's Play"

I want to agree with him right off the bat. What the fuck is the point of doing this whole "certain races can only be in certain alliances" if you fuck that up by allowing preorders to be any race in any alliance? That's beyond stupid!

Now, I've seen many comments about how this game is so far pretty bad. I personally didn't mind Skyrim the first playthrough (the story was such a huge letdown it killed the game for me), but a $60 game with the $15 per month thing? They're joking right?

I can't even imagine many Elder Scrolls fans wanting to play this if it's as bad as I hear.

I want to agree with him right off the bat. What the fuck is the point of doing this whole "certain races can only be in certain alliances" if you fuck that up by allowing preorders to be any race in any alliance? That's beyond stupid!

Now, I've seen many comments about how this game is so far pretty bad. I personally didn't mind Skyrim the first playthrough (the story was such a huge letdown it killed the game for me), but a $60 game with the $15 per month thing? They're joking right?

I can't even imagine many Elder Scrolls fans wanting to play this if it's as bad as I hear.

$60 with a $15/mo subscription is a pretty normal AAA title rate for an MMORPG. My issue with this game is that it was supposed to change the MMO genre by making MMOs more like TES games, but instead they did the opposite, it looks and feels like they took "The Generic MMO Creation Kit: Just Add Intellectual Property!" and shoved the Elder Scrolls lore into it. We don't want WoW Clone 23, we want a new, fresh game, and I see this going F2P in a year, like every other recent MMO (including WoW...)

It's turned off all the TES fans, it's a straight up cookie cutter MMO, nothing but lore is left to remind u of TES. If u like MMO's you'll like this, it's not bad as an MMO.

Guild Wars 2 was a flat $60, no subscription. That's why I'm amazed this has a subscription fee.

With that in mind, is it just me or am I seeing more people lately bitching about the $60 part? I've seen many different games where people say $60 is far too much and they'll wait till it's 40. $60 is the normal amount for a new game and I don't see that changing. Maybe Steam is getting into people's heads too much =P

Guild Wars 2 was a flat $60, no subscription. That's why I'm amazed this has a subscription fee.

With that in mind, is it just me or am I seeing more people lately bitching about the $60 part? I've seen many different games where people say $60 is far too much and they'll wait till it's 40. $60 is the normal amount for a new game and I don't see that changing. Maybe Steam is getting into people's heads too much =P
$60 is out of many peoples budgets at this point, and has been for last 8 years that we've been in this recession. Digital games that you cannot resell have less value than a physical copy that u can turn around and sell as well. I don't think many developing companies understand how eliminating the ability to resell a game effects it value. To this end games sold on a strictly digital platform, such as steam, should be cheaper than physical copies of the game, as they have less value to the consumer and indeed we see the consumer not biting at $60. Also used game sales drive new game sales, so in order to drive up new game purchases they need to sell older titles at a more steeply discounted price, if the game is sold in a digital format (such as selling Oblivion for $5 1-2 months b4 Skyrim comes out).

Btw this shizzle is what I'm getting my degree in this year.

Last 8 years? It's only been coming up just recently. Obviously there are people who are so used to Steam, but look at the consoles. I don't see anyone there saying $60 is too much because they are used to it.

Last 8 years? It's only been coming up just recently. Obviously there are people who are so used to Steam, but look at the consoles. I don't see anyone there saying $60 is too much because they are used to it.
The recession officially started in 2006 (it's now 2014, so 8 years). The whole thing with the new consoles considering DRM that would prevent the use of used games was a result of pressure from dev companies because used games were outselling new games within one week of launch. So yah console gamers are not buying at $60 either right now, they're not complaining they're just buying used and not new.

Actually, many console gamers are still buying new, but if they want to pick up a game that has been out for a of course they're not going to pay sixty and pick up a used copy if possible, it's cheaper even if only $5 cheaper. Also $60 is the norm on consoles for NEW titles and has been since at the 360's release. Before that it fluctuated based on the game.

I"m shocked they're selling for $60 on PC, I've always seen the PC versions go for cheaper than the console versions.

Before I go on, please note that these are my opinions on impressions from videos out there.

Have to say the 1st-person action feel introduces something new to the MMO table for the MMORPG genre. It seemed to have an alright Elder Scrolls feel, while still having the visible MMO feel (no way of getting away from that). And it seems to have a lot of the elements by name (not sure by mechanic) that Elder Scrolls has.

Subscription fees are dumb in this new MMO age, with all of the F2P experiences out there that give good/equivalent experiences (Star Trek Online, Neverwinter, Lord of the Rings Online, D&D Online, The Old Republic, etc.). If it can compete with Eve Online or other subscription based MMOs more power to them, but they are not going to have the player base they are hoping for.

$60 is a decent chunk to throw at a MMO, but it is the expected price of most AAA titles currently. Add the $15/month to that, and it becomes a really expensive investment, and more so if you get one of the collectors editions in the mix. Also locking out features to the pre-orders (such as Imperial/a few player classes) is also going to reduce the player base. Not sure if Xbox Live is required for the Xbox One version, but if it is, there is another cost added to the mix and will drive away that segment.

So it looks to have promise, but as Reechard was saying it will probably go the way of The Old Republic and go F2P.

The Imperial Race is for the Collectors Edition not for Preorders, And Xbox Live will be required for those who want to play on the Xbox One, that one is on Micro$oft as they want more money. However, most of the people who will probably get this on Xbox One will already have an XBL Subscription, due to playing other games online, so they won't really care about that. If I was getting it on Xbox One I know I wouldn't, however I chose to get it on PC.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48189 Members
(9631 Online 755 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom