Minis.

Reechard

Server Admin
VF4-S (Server Operator)
Minecraft Operator
Staff Member
Minecraft Admin
Anybody else in here into the minis scene in their spare time? I had been studiously avoiding getting myself into minis because it's a gigantic money hole trap, but with how much I've spent on steam, I can't say it's a "bigger" investment. Recently, my local game store had a pretty major clearance sale, and had a bunch of minis out that just weren't selling. I waited for them to be marked down to literally free (the game store has a points system that gives you store credit, I got store credit equal to the cost of the minis) and bought some. I then used the credit I had to get myself paint, glue, tools, and a couple of other board games. The results are.... I've been doing assembly and painting of minis. I'd like to see what you guys get into if you do the minis scene, and here's my first few steps into the world of plastic crack:

Hordes: Legion of Everblight: Carnivean Heavy Warbeast:

IMG_0078.jpg

This guy took me probably 1.5hrs to assemble and another 3hrs to paint. The kit I got must have been on the shelf for a while, because it's been several years since Privateer Press made their base kits out of metal. It was a neat experience assembling metal minis, as the other kits I got were plastic. The plastic kits are pretty much idiot-proof and can only be assembled one way, have keyed holes and tabs where the parts can only fit in one spot, and are in much fewer pieces. This guy was in 10 large pieces, with another 5 or 6 smaller pieces, and a few spots had to be trimmed and filed to make it all fit perfectly. The end result is a big ole' heavy mini that feels much more awesome than any of the plastic ones. When you pick it up you go "holy crap this is nice" and he'd make a nice paperweight.

This army is made up of creatures that are the spawn of an undead ice dragon. Imagine if the gem in diablo belonged to an ice dragon, and had been found by a giant troll. This troll-dragon-guy is the leader of this army. Pretty freaking awesome. The storyline was the inspiration for the paint scheme I went with, which I tried to make.... "Frosty". I think it turned out pretty well. The snow on the base is just baking soda mixed with plain old white glue like you used in grade school. It looks pretty awesome.

I finished up the big guy's family tonight. I threw a regular-old Q-Tip that was on my bench in there for scale:

IMG_0089.JPG

They need their bases re-ringed in black after the snow dries up, and they'll be ready to crush tiny baby armies.

Don't have any of my own, but I love the little bit of 'you' factor that comes with hand-painted minis.

I got another of the starter sets finished up. These guys are TrollBloods and were way harder to paint than the last ones. Turns out "frosty" is a pretty easy look to paint up.

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

I really really need to break out my better camera for pics, the iphone doesn't do these guys any justice. They look way awesomer in person.

Yes the iPhone camera sensor is garbage. Any phone for that matter
It's not so much the sensor as it is the crappy optics. You have a piddly little lens that will get fingerprints and dust on it all the time, and no real optical focus, aperture, or zoom to work with, and the result is photos that look like ass. It's also why those $5 keychain digitals and most webcams are also terrible.

There's a reason a "proper" digital camera can cost as much (or more) than a phone... ;)

It's not so much the sensor as it is the crappy optics. You have a piddly little lens that will get fingerprints and dust on it all the time, and no real optical focus, aperture, or zoom to work with, and the result is photos that look like ass. It's also why those $5 keychain digitals and most webcams are also terrible.

There's a reason a "proper" digital camera can cost as much (or more) than a phone... ;)
It's the whole package. Basic point and shoot cameras with a decent sized lens have an image sensor the size of your pinky fingernail. That's bigger than most phone camera lens. But most people freak out when they hear the new iPhone has an 8 megapixel camera. I try to save as many people as possible, but most people don't care about things like this.

It's the whole package. Basic point and shoot cameras with a decent sized lens have an image sensor the size of your pinky fingernail. That's bigger than most phone camera lens. But most people freak out when they hear the new iPhone has an 8 megapixel camera. I try to save as many people as possible, but most people don't care about things like this.
because HURR HURR MORE MEGAPAJIXELS.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48189 Members
(9376 Online 711 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom