Modern Gaming is Miraculous

Geoff

Sir "Let's Play"

I think we've reached the peak of graphics, or pretty damn close. I can't imagine us ever playing games that are straight up real life looking.

I think we've reached the peak of graphics, or pretty damn close. I can't imagine us ever playing games that are straight up real life looking.

It'd be interesting to see if there is an uncanny valley similar to with robotics/animatronics where things just get "weird" as they get closer and closer to realism.

As for "realistic" looking games... we're probably near the practical limit on that with current tech (texture rendering, polygon counts, modelling) but you _can_ make far more real-looking games... just look at the way the early games in the Myst series were done, those were insanely well done in that aspect, vs. the available technology. I actually found the earlier "slideshow" style games more immersive/realistic than the later ones which had modelled, fully explorable environments.

I think once the tech becomes available/more mainstream we may well see something like mapping of high-resolution stills and video from real-life scenes to virtual objects to create very immersive experiences.

I think once the tech becomes available/more mainstream we may well see something like mapping of high-resolution stills and video from real-life scenes to virtual objects to create very immersive experiences.
Lets just say more mainstream as the tech is there i got to watch a tech demo of a concept for a game that made you actually wonder if it was just a video shot in rl with the character put into it afterwards or actual terrain but god the machine that they had to run that was a beast

I'm sure everyone has said similar things about technology in their respective eras. Imagine what people thought when TV first came out, then sound was added, then black and white turned to color. And look how far we've come since Atari era. I think in another 30 years games will be life like.

Have you played the BF4 campaign yet? There were a couple times where the characters looked life like. And these were not animated scenes. They were using the in game models.

Last edited:

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48180 Members
(8656 Online 618 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom