[Resolved] Racism

White Man

Hey I was playing one of the servers on tf2c and one person called me a cracker and I started to make fun of how racism is allowed on the server and the admin who which I will not name because I already caused enough trouble with needs a break said it was ok to call white people slurs and that its not racism.

Which confused me and let me in shock of how racism on is double standard when it comes to white people even though were still human like black people

Preamble: Without reviewing an exact transcript of what was said, I can't really get into specifics of the incident and the only thing I can really hazard a guess at is that it sounds like there was some context or nuance to the situation that adds something significant to the chain of events.

Per our rules we don't necessarily have banned words, just banned intentions. I'm by no means an etymologist but a casual read on Wikipedia at least suggests that "cracker" potentially has more neutral usages in the common vernacular (as opposed to the typical slurs seen used to deride or insult non-Caucasians - which often have their roots in historical oppression by a white majority. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_(term)), so it might have been allowable in context, even if not desirable. Many terms which are considered offensive in some regions are considered acceptable in others due to cultural norms - which makes it very difficult to comprise one-size-fits-all rules. Ideally we wouldn't see these terms at all, but the Internet being what it is, that's basically a pipe dream.

This doesn't mean there is a carte-blanche exclusion for epithets targeting Caucasians, and if something violates our rules, regardless of whom it targets, staff are expected to act on it.

Per the preamble I can't really say anything specifically about this case without more detail. If you're interested in making a formal complaint (rather than just clarification of how I expect our rules to be enforced) I'm certainly willing to look into a specific incident to revise staff guidelines - if you are able to provide more detail, such as a date/time and whether this transpired in voice or text chat, I can review anything we've logged to try to gain more insight.

~Vintage

Dear vintage

Thank you for the response I don't want to warn the individual or have the individual get in trouble in this. Personally I just want to make sure rules like these are know to be followed in both ways by race. So all I ask is please tell the mods that racism is anything that is slur to another race because no matter how small a slur is against a race its still a slur at the end of day. because I don't want this place to turn into twitter where it sometimes feels like a hatefest for whites or tik tok.

Sincerely, and Very much thank you
White Man

Absolutely. In an ideal world people would be able to leave all that sort of real-life crap at the door and just enjoy/play the game, of course. (And certainly the majority of people manage to do that quite well). Thanks for bringing it up, I will make a general internal statement on the topic.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48181 Members
(6003 Online 338 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom