Radeon vs Nvidia

Statboy

Resident Cueball
With my Tax money back i'm going to upgrade my graphics card. Since I run an AMD processor would an AMD Radeon graphics card work better for me than an Nvidia? Would I have compatibility issues with an Nvidia? My processor is AMD A10, with attached Radeon 6700 graphics (APU), but I have 1 PCIe X 16 port and 1 mini PCIe available. Though I'll probably need to save the mini port to add some kind of cooling system beyond the fan that came with my tower.

Won't matter what brand you get the processor will work with it. I personally recommend Nvidia. I always got AMD Radeon because they were cheaper but I have regretted it. A lot of games are better optimized for Nvidia.

Last edited:
I personally use Nvidia products because their software is of better quality and hardware, when cooled properly, has longer life spans or so I have been told. They are more expensive yes, but in my mind it is worth it. Having an AMD processor shouldn't cause you any problems. Lonesome is correct in that far more games are optimized for Nvidia than Radeon cards at the moment, dying light for example.

If you are looking to pick something up there are a bunch of cheap 970's flooding the market atm. The 970's were advertised as having 4gbs of memory however because of a problem with the architecture they can only access 3.5gbs of that memory, Nvidia has issued apologies and many sellers have offered refunds to a bunch of people and a lot of sellers have refurbished cards available.

If you are looking for something less expensive the price of the 770s has gone down as they are no longer in production, still a kick ass card though I have one myself and would definitely recommend it, though it only has 2gb and won't be as "future proof".

Also EVGA all the way! Great aftermarket coolers which keep my 770 at 64c max but usually closer to 55 c. Make sure whatever you do buy something with an after market cooler pre attached and don't try and put one on a reference card yourself, you are asking for a world of invalidated warranties and trouble.

Thanks guys, i'm really diggin the GTX 960's and 970's, I'm going to get one of them, just need to decide exactly how much I really want to spend on it. EVGA is so much cheaper than Nvidia.com, my budget was about to make the decision for me.

I've got my GTX 960 on the way, EVGA lost my order but when I called today and they found out what happened and are shipping it to me next day air, so good customer service. I'm ordering the PCI 16 ribbon cable from amazon right now, do I need a powered ribbon cable or does unpowered work just as well. If the cable just transfers data i don't see how powered cables would help anything, but I am a still a newb at this nerd thing so I wanted to check with my experts.

Why do you need a ribbon cable? does your card not fit in your case as-is?

The expansion slot on the backplate is at the bottom of the tower, while the PCI port is at the top of the motherboard, a good 5-6 inches to high.

The expansion slot on the backplate is at the bottom of the tower, while the PCI port is at the top of the motherboard, a good 5-6 inches to high.
Well, in that case it makes sense.

Given the card probably already has a dedicated PSU connection, I don't think you need to worry about getting a powered cable. You really would only need those for cards that draw a lot of power power via the PCIe port only, as the ribbon cable is probably too thin to handle that. (It doesn't look like powered does anything to amplify the signal etc., it's just to provide power to the card itself) Cards with dedicated sockets for power connections draw the bulk of their power from those connections anyway.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48189 Members
(9066 Online 679 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom