What has happened to this mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noob
When this project first began (back when I was on the dev team), the aim was to reintroduce beta content and balance it. Since then, it seems things have changed.

Let's start with the removal of beta stuff; The Lead Pipe was removed and now the Scout's SMG was removed. The Lead Pipe, yeah I can see why. It was basically a different version of the Heavy's fists. Last I was told, it needed something to make it different (gee, how about adding some attributes to it, which you've now ripped from TF2). Why was the Scout's SMG removed? And why is it that the new aim of the project (now that Deathmatch has taken a pretty good shape) is to just steal a ton of stuff from TF2?

Also, I was told by a dev team member that one of the animators on the team said that there won't be any proper thirdperson animations done for things like the DM Merc/other classes (which may be why the Scout's SMG was removed, because nobody wanted to make brand new anims for him). Any truth to this? If so, that's lazy. Speaking of animations, was the Nailgun "crouch + walk left" thirdperson bug ever fixed (it causes the Scout to do a weird warp to the left while crouchwalking directly left)?

I'm too tired to write about anything else, but I'll end with porting things from TF2. Who's "great" idea was this? The goal of TF2Classic was to avoid ripping current stuff off from TF2. Sure, gamemodes would've been acceptable, but just blatantly making TF2Classic piggyback off of TF2's item schema for attributes and ripping entire models right out of the game (Gunboats, Flare Gun) is just pure laziness. Iiboharz states that the models may be changed in the future and that this is a "beta", but look at the Merc's animations. In thirdperson he holds 90% of the weapons incorrectly due to piss-poor animations. Is that still "in beta" or are those animations going to be fixed up and polished?

I'm disappointed in this mod now. I was more than willing to put up the greenlight fee to get this project up on Greenlight since Valve has stated they are ok with the project, but not when you guys are just shamelessly ripping entire models and systems from TF2. I would have loved to bring this up in the Facepunch thread but Postal and Craptasket have a nasty habit of banning any discussion from me, or about me (doesn't matter if it's good or bad, they just ban anyone who mentions me for random made-up reasons).

The mercenary is indeed getting his own custom animations, and the weapons were removed for balance reasons. We have great faith in our gameplay lead and the decisions he makes about cutting and adding weapons are always backed up with discussion and research. The Gunboats were one of the most requested features to be added to the mod. In the end, we are sticking with our project goal:

"Team Fortress 2 Classic is a source mod that aims to revisit the theme Team Fortress 2 had established shortly before launch, expand support for community additions to the game, and try new concepts and ideas in the TF2 universe."

As for using models that are direct ports from TF2; if it were up to me I would have replaced the models.

I feel like using different models for weapon ports would merely confuse players, which is why I mandated that we should simply use the live tf2 models for ported weapons. We were thinking of adding a new flaregun model, but there was a major backlash against it (https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1483571&p=49451341&viewfull=1#post49451341), which is why all future tf2 weapon ports will use the live tf2 model. New weapons will still use new models.

As for porting the item schema from live TF2, this does not change gameplay apart from the fact that rapid prototyping is now much simpler. This also is a major step towards compatibility with existing TF2 extensions. Not porting something like that simply for the sake of not porting it does not make any sense.

Who's the gameplay lead? Frying Dutchman? The one who changed the focus of the mod the minute he was brought in by the person who got in trouble for not contributing anything?

Also, @danielmm8888

"not laziness. Everybody on the team was up for new models, but it's "Daniel Fortress 2: Classic" we are talking about so he insisted to use live tf2 stuff lol"

That's what I received in a message on Steam when I woke up.

And since when has the project goal been "Team Fortress 2 Classic is a source mod that aims to revisit the theme Team Fortress 2 had established shortly before launch, expand support for community additions to the game, and try new concepts and ideas in the TF2 universe."

The project goal was what I said it was above, to reintroduce beta content and balance it. That's why grenade code was kept in and has still not been used. Next thing you're gonna tell me is you're considering hats.

And honestly, who cares if there was a backlash on Facepunch? Facepunch is a shit community. No offense to the people I like from there, but the rest of the community is utter shit including Sexy Robot (why is this bitch still on the team after THIS nice little example of her attitude after I was the one who first contacted her and she hmmed and hawed about it and ignored me. can you tell I still don't like her?)

I honestly don't know why I care so much about this project anymore, especially since distancing myself from Facepunch and getting my life on track.

Unfortunately I have to close this thread because of the flaming. I'm not sure what your goal is, but we are always willing to take constructive feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48180 Members
(6434 Online 322 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom