What would you like to see most?

VintagePC

GodModePC
VF4-S (Server Operator)
Forum Operator
Minecraft Operator
Global Moderator
Staff Member
I've been thinking about this a bit and I'm curious to see which of these would be things folks would be interested in and what they'd like to see most. Please feel free to add comments or suggestions, and vote for the things you'd want.

Once I have a better idea of what folks want, I'll see about the most popular one and work in that order.

source games - these are some we used to have, maybe time for a reboot? Feel free to suggest others.
1. CS:S server
2. DoD:S server
3. CS:GO server
4. Gmod sandbox server?

Other games:
Terraria?
Minecraft DivineRPG server? (not entirely sure if possible yet)

I know there was some talk of Hidden source but alas it seems there is an issue with the SDK required to run it - the old HL2MP component is deprecated and the Source SDK2006 hasn't been ported for Linux.

Last edited:
h84D4486D

For the love of all that is good a minecraft server should be brought back!!! I want to play on a decent server again!!!

If we put up minecraft will people play on it, or is it going to end up like the last 3-4 we've put up, with population for 3 days and then empty?

I've looked into it, and here's where it currently stands:
Because there is no craftbukkit 1.7, a vanilla minecraft 1.7 would have NO protections (worldguard, locked doors, etc) whatsoever. for anyone. (except a whitelist). We've seen how well whitelists work in the past, unless you get insanely restrictive on who can play.

So, here's what the choices are:

1. Public, whitelist-based server with 2-day wait, as before. You will probably get griefed, and we will NOT do rollbacks or issue items back. It is just too much of a PITA for us to stay on top of, and it inconveniences EVERYONE when we have to rollback. PERIOD.

2. Private server, which requires you to be a supporter to play. This should stop _most_, if not all griefers at the door as they want to troll and move on; investing cash is not part of their plan. We _may_ consider rollbacks depending on the severity of the grief, but what we're hoping is that the paywall will keep the griefers out. Whether we rollback and/or restore items will be at the operator's discretion, and decisions will be final unless the situation changes (e.g. more grief damage is discovered later).

Thoughts/comments/votes?

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. I say put more effort and resources into something else.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. I say put more effort and resources into something else.
this will be a low-effort thing anyway - and the difference this time around, since dealing with the griefing was the most time-intensive part of the server.

And besides, I'm not hearing a whole lot of "something else" as suggestions right now. :/

Was just suggested Slender Fortress... any takers?

I can't believe I'm saying this. But I agree with Lonesome Killer. Let minecraft fucking die already. Its not a good game, its too much overhead for administration needs, and the very nature of the game is to be as happy as a dog with 2 dicks during the first week then forget it exists one month later. Unless we just put up a sandbox server that gets wiped on preset intervals with absolutely zero rules we aren't going to make minecraft work.

I don't know how to make one of those new fangled memes that people use to communicate. but put a dumb blonde here and this caption "stop trying to make minecraft happen. its not going to happen"
there. better than a meme.

I agree we should just give up on MC. You have to either have someone or something special to make MC servers work and we have neither. I actually never quit playing mc and still play 4-5 hours a week on Hypixel and a friends vanilla server but it just doesnt work here it seems. I tried to play on ours but i kind of just gave up when i was the only person on for days at a time so it was pretty much SSP. Not to mention the only way to make it easier to control without massive dedication is using bukkit and bukkit fucks with a lot of redstone.

As far as suggestions go, someone in our scrim tonight mentioned DayZ which is coming out as a standalone game. I actually do think that if possible that would be a nice thing to try and make happen. I'd probably even buy the game if we could make it happen. I'm still empty of ideas though as i do not play many games that have community run dedicated servers besides tf2. Maybe Chivalry which has an expansion coming out soon, not sure if it is done through "Trusted Providers" or not.

http://www.nomoreroominhell.com/

^^ Dat

It is free if you own HL2 (who doesn't) and its really fun. Not as much shooting as Left 4 Dead more thinking than just running and gunning which people do just shoot like crazy but you run out of ammo quickly. Its worth looking into at least. Pretty sure the servers are having issues at times due to the influx of people they have been experiencing though but that should get resolved eventually but that is public servers not sure if anything changes with private ones.

We can certainly reevaluate DayZ if it comes out standalone. Currently it needs ARMA2 and battleye which we've discussed in the past, and they have some really idiotic requirements they want hosters to comply with regarding who/why you may ban (translation- it's rife with griefers, hackers and the like), and they want root server access and basically what amounts to full control over the install. NOPE. Our box, our rules, unless they're willing to pay for it.

As for minecraft... I can see the argument for letting it die - but if it is something people are asking for, it does mean there is still demand. Simply put, I'm willing to put something up, but it will be more-or-less unmanaged, as that was by far the biggest time-sink with the old ones, and which is why I proposed the option of the paywall to significantly reduce the risk of griefing, and let it be something that we _can_ basically put up and forget. In fact, we've even considered a creative mode server in the past, but put it aside for lack of resources.

Other suggestions so far that may be promising:

-No more room in hell
-Slender Fortress
-Chivalry (maybe? Seems available as it stands but unsure about the status of mentioned mod)

They're all srcds based and viable options. I'll look at each of them in-depth some more and if it's not a lot of work, maybe even put up a trial one or two.

Just to throw a weird and different suggestion out there, Trackmania 2 Stadium.

I always thought Mount and Blade: Warband would make for a badass server, but is seems overly complicated to populate/keep going.

I could just list so many reasons against all the proposed minecraft ideas so far

1. a paywall to a server that is not actively administrated is a troll's wet dream, not a troll deterrent.
2. our most trusted members have been the key reasons in the past for resetting minecraft servers. Mycheese, Textercist, and a few other names I can't remember because I was so pissed off that none of you tried to salvage the server that you all fucking decided instead to just reset it, even though someone had been working on his house over 10 fucking months and had been constantly re-assured that we have backups in case something bad happens. So expecting a server of just community members without any administration to float without monthly resets is fucking naive
3. People will ask for it, they will always ask for it. but watch what those people do when they get what they ask for. They will play it for 1 week and get bored and leave. As one of the only FFN members that has stayed active on the first 4 reincarnations of our servers over the years I can safely say that aside from myself, and maybe one random person no one knows EVERYONE abandons the server after the first month because the novelty wears off.
4. those same motherfuckers in reason 3 then come back 4+ months later begging to have the server reset because its not as fun anymore, or a new mod came out that would require a new map, or there was an update that requires a new map.

http://imgur.com/a/SKGdM
http://imgur.com/a/uTlmX#0
Go ahead and ask if I'm bitter about how we've ran minecraft in the past. Those screenshots should emphatically reinforce the YES that I'm saying here.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48189 Members
(9711 Online 669 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom