Remember to unplug your USB devices when you install an OS

lonesome killer

Banhammered
I forgot to unplug my wireless adapter and it got fried. I tested it on a computer that I know works. I installed the drivers from the website before plugging it in. It's gone. :'( Thank goodness I had the extended warranty!

Sense make this does not.

I'd chalk it up to coincidence unless the adapter or your motherboard was defective/had a design flaw. There's no way to destroy a usb device just by communicating with it unless it's poorly designed. (Exampe was the intel e1000 wired cards a few years back that had a firmware bug that could brick them in certain circumstances). That, or the +5V line for the usb device is putting out more than 5V.

Is it a Microsoft Mouse with the Micro USB wireless adapter? If it is, that is the problem, I had three MS Mice in a row that had the USB adapter fry before I gave up on them and went back to logitech.

Yeah, I opened this expecting "USB Hard Drive with all my pr0nz got formatted" but this....

Nope. It's a coincidence.

Who downloads that stuff anymore Reechard when you can stream it? I only have 1 movie downloaded incase for extreme emergencies when the power goes out.

It wasn't a mouse. It was a Netgear WNDA3100 802.11 N adapter.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48181 Members
(6682 Online 365 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom