• Please DO NOT post in a ban contest thread unless you are:
    1. The person banned or posting a ban request.
    2. Senior Staff.
    This is necessary to keep threads on-topic and uncluttered. Thank you.

If you don't know why you were banned, you probably broke one of our server rules. Most bans are temporary except in the case of gross violations or repeated infractions.

[Resolved] Appeal to unban (or make it temporary maybe)

Uuh, hello? Name Lusién.
Today at 12:56 (I don't know exactly which country this time is) I was banned for xenophobia and racism on server VaultF4 - Official [EU] Standard 2 by Fish Bait permanently.
But I didn't even say anything today! What might seem provocative, I just said that administrators ban people for racism, which is simply a fact. I also jokingly wrote a “/report fishbait” with typos on purpose. I didn’t mention xenophobia at all.
I really enjoy playing on your servers, and I'm trying to behave carefully, but today I'm out of luck...
Fish Bait, please write the full situation, because of which I am now on the black list, please. Thank you.

Link to my Steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198865394658

Your appeal has been received and I'll get back to you in the next few days.

I would like to add that I know that I was banned once before at the beginning of the summer. However, since then I have tried to be quiet and loyal. I honestly didn’t completely understand why I was punished again.

From what I can tell this ban was for continued inappropriate language on our servers, specifically:

1694380658753.png

This is a violation of rule 3:

No hate speech or harassment is allowed. This includes (but is not limited to) racism, sexism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, bullying, and use of racial, ethnic, and anti-LGBT slurs. Likewise, glorification of nazis, or use of nazi imagery and symbols, is grounds for an immediate permanent ban.

The reason your ban is now permanent is due to the history of infractions. Your priors are:
  1. 2h Comm ban on 27/03 with reason "Obscene language"
  2. 2wk ban on 13/06 for racism/hate speech
  3. 5d comm ban on 06/08 for Obscene language.

Overall this is a fourth infraction (or third, if we consider the 2h comm ban a "warning") and this is inline with the policies on punishment lengths as outlined in our server rules.

I hope that clarifies the reason for the ban and its length.

~Vintage

From what I can tell this ban was for continued inappropriate language on our servers, specifically:

View attachment 1726

This is a violation of rule 3:

The reason your ban is now permanent is due to the history of infractions. Your priors are:
  1. 2h Comm ban on 27/03 with reason "Obscene language"
  2. 2wk ban on 13/06 for racism/hate speech
  3. 5d comm ban on 06/08 for Obscene language.

Overall this is a fourth infraction (or third, if we consider the 2h comm ban a "warning") and this is inline with the policies on punishment lengths as outlined in our server rules.

I hope that clarifies the reason for the ban and its length.

~Vintage
I could say I mixed up the letters, but that's not true.
In general, this message was not addressed to any of the players. We played around with taunts at spawn, the Demoman's phrase (need a teleporter here) stops at the right time and comes out "very funny" and I quoted this in the chat for no apparent reason.

Lastly, I wanted to ask. Is it possible to somehow remove ban and return to the game servers legally?🥺 For example, pay someone a certain amount or write an essay on the topic “why racism and obscene language are bad” and send by email?
No kidding.

UPD: I changed "dispenser" with "teleporter" because I made a mistake in the phrase.

Last edited:
Well, it would be rather questionable ethically if we allowed people to pay their way out of punishment so that's not on the table, but let me check with some of the staff and see if there's an option for redress.

~Vintage

After some additional consideration we don't believe this to be a one-off mistake worthy of leniency. Going back I was able to find several additional rule violations over the past month:

1694732973745.png
1694733001487.png
1694733078882.png
1694733105750.png
1694733142083.png
1694733200621.png

I know there are more, I just stopped bothering to take screenshots at six; any one of these was worthy of precipitating this permanent ban as a result of your priors.

Ergo, at this time the ban will remain in effect. You may, however, re-appeal after one year has passed from the date of the ban and we will reconsider at that time.

Attachments

• 1694733413484.png
    1694733413484.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 9
After some additional consideration we don't believe this to be a one-off mistake worthy of leniency. Going back I was able to find several additional rule violations over the past month:

I know there are more, I just stopped bothering to take screenshots at six; any one of these was worthy of precipitating this permanent ban as a result of your priors.

Ergo, at this time the ban will remain in effect. You may, however, re-appeal after one year has passed from the date of the ban and we will reconsider at that time.
Thank you, of course, for looking at my biography... but it seems to me that if you did this to everyone automatically, half of your community would already be banned. But that's none of my business, of course.
More than half of the messages you cited were addressed to my friends on servers, where four or five people played (we). I was not a provocateur and sometimes they really deserved it. This is Team Fortress, after all. But if you have such strict rules and have servers in the game where each mercenary throws mud at the other sometimes uncensored, then forgive me, what can I do?

And I’m really ashamed of racism. My brain sometimes thinks that it will be very funny if I write a word for everyone to see. Forgive me everyone who witnessed, please!😭

I understand everything, I won’t deny anything. See you in a year, all the best, bye!

Your gracious friend with rough English, who has the pseudonym Lusien.

but it seems to me that if you did this to everyone automatically, half of your community would already be banned. But that's none of my business, of course.
We act on reports and other information our staff receives, and of course I have to take a closer look at what's going on when someone contests or otherwise brings up a concern. I work with what I find, whether it helps or hinders an appeal. However, we don't go maliciously trawling through logs looking for violations on which to ban people. It's not a good use of our limited staff's time, and we do recognize that sometimes things will get missed.

More than half of the messages you cited were addressed to my friends on servers, where four or five people played (we). I was not a provocateur and sometimes they really deserved it. This is Team Fortress, after all.
Friends in private is one thing (because I know there is such a thing as shock humour etc), but the problem is that our servers are open to the public, so anyone can come and go as they please. It certainly may "feel" a bit more private but I don't find a huge difference from e.g. a public sidewalk; all it takes is someone coming by at an inopportune time and then there is a situation. My suggestion would be using some of your vacation time to make some more creative trash talk that don't rely on slurs or -isms to make a point :)

We act on reports and other information our staff receives, and of course I have to take a closer look at what's going on when someone contests or otherwise brings up a concern. I work with what I find, whether it helps or hinders an appeal. However, we don't go maliciously trawling through logs looking for violations on which to ban people. It's not a good use of our limited staff's time, and we do recognize that sometimes things will get missed.

Friends in private is one thing (because I know there is such a thing as shock humour etc), but the problem is that our servers are open to the public, so anyone can come and go as they please. It certainly may "feel" a bit more private but I don't find a huge difference from e.g. a public sidewalk; all it takes is someone coming by at an inopportune time and then there is a situation. My suggestion would be using some of your vacation time to make some more creative trash talk that don't rely on slurs or -isms to make a point :)
In reality, each of us is a good person and generally a sweetheart. But the Internet is no exception, you are right (damn, but these guys just ask for it sometimes :mad:). Sorry again for the bad behavior.
Thank you for talking.

Funding Progress To Date

VaultF4 on Steam

48178 Members
(9675 Online 757 In-Game)
Join the group
Back
Top Bottom